[scribus] Offset printing

avox avox at arcor.de
Tue Feb 24 21:12:12 CET 2009

Dr A Burns wrote:

> I'm very new to Scribus and printing in general. I've read the Scribus
> manual but have a couple of basic questions.
>
> I have a document that I want to have printed on an offset printer.  The
> document contains a number of rbg screen captures.  Some years ago I had a
> similar document printed that had an overall purple tinge, which I want to
> avoid.
>
> 1. Does the "printer" selection for PDF documents simulate the appearance
> of the offset printed document ?

Scribus will do the conversion for you and can also simulate the outcome on
screen.

> 2. Do I give the PDF generated with the "screen / web" setting to the
> printer, (rather than the "printer" setting) ?
>
> 3. For "solid colors" and "images" should I select the check box and
> select my monitor profile when creating the PDF, or should I leave these
> check boxes unchecked ?

If you check those, Scribus will include color profiles in the PDF and the
printer must be able to understand those. If they are not checked, Scribus
will convert the colors to the printing profile.

Do you know what profile was used to generate the RGB images? If unknown,
either sRGB or Generic RGB might be best choice in File -> Document Setup ->
Color management.

/Andreas