[scribus] Starting with Scribus

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 11:26:56 CEST 2009

michael crane wrote:
> 2009/7/2 Blue Beehive <alan at bluebeehive.com>:
>> OK. I have downloaded and installed Scribus and started to read the
>> documentation (splendid stuff Peter). I am a Windows user who has never done
>> any DTP before, or anything else really, only business accounts (package),
>> the occasional spreadsheet  and the usual emails. I have foolishly agreed to
>> prepare and publish our village mag - 32 double sided A4 pages and around
>> 800 copies per run) and thought Scribus hits the button. Now here is the
>> BUT. I now find that I also now have to have GhostScript and Ghostscript
>> viewer, GIMP and I don't know what else, and have got to learn about PS, PDF
>> and EPS files together with typography, fonts, colour manipulation and what
>> seems like a myriad of other things.
>>
>> My question is simple. Where do I start? Which comes first in the learning
>> curve. Scribus, the other programs, terminology, the file types? I am
>> surrounded, nay buried, in 'new stuff'. So much so that I have lost all
>> sense or direction and have no idea where the door is. Can anybody point to
>> it. -- Please!
>
> It's not so hard. you only need to know enough to get it done.
> Collect your material photos, text articles. Make a new A4 page then
> add image frames for the photos and text frames for the text. As you
> start wanting to do something specific with a picture or text, or you
> want to print it then you can find out about that.
>
> somebody else can probably be more precise.

I'm inclined to agree.  The best thing is to start and see what problems
are thrown up.

You only need one Ghostscript, but make sure you get the right version.
  You may not need gimp at all, or any knowledge of PS or EPS, though
PDF will probably be useful, and Gimp is great, but one thing at a time.

Worry about colour management if and when you need it.

I assume that you'll use a print shop to do the actual print run.
They'll probably want output in PDF. Probably a good idea to find out
what they want ASAP, do the first couple of pages that will have
pictures on, then send them a PDF to make sure that they are happy with
what you generate.  If they aren't come back to us and no doubt much
help will be forthcoming. That's when you might need to get in to colour
management, but for a 'village mag', that might be OTT.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor