[scribus] How to personalize a booklet?

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 14:10:09 CEST 2009

Sveinn í Felli (IMAP) wrote:
> Ronald Wiplinger (Lists) wrote:

> To answer some of your questions:
>
> Well, I've seen and experimented with such a function. PHP3
> is (maybe was) able to do a search/replace inside any file,
> including PDF's. With a PDF template which includes (even
> several) placeholders e.g. <Name> and <Address> PHP would
> automatically replace the placeholders with data from a DB
> or user input. Handy for making printable invoices and receipts.
> BUT: this only worked with PDFs format 1.2 and older
> (Acrobat 3.x) where pure text was still included (no
> encoding ? no compression). I have an example made with
> PSSCRIPT.DRV version 4.0 from MSWord (v.95?) through
> Distiller 3.01.

Presumably for that matter it would also be possible to make such
substitutions in a Postscript template, then convert that PDF ?  Could
PsTools do that conversion ?

Don't know about PHP. Wouldn't making a database report which happens to
be a tiny awk script be less trouble ?  Depends what you are familiar
with I guess.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor