[scribus] Image colorize no longer works?

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Jul 12 21:53:36 CEST 2009

hi all
> > I don't see what The Gimp has to do with it. I'm talking about
> > the Sribus "Image Effects" dialog that offers some
> > non-destructive effects like colorize, grayscale or invert. It
> > worked perfectly fine for eps files in Scribus 1.3.4.

> My understanding is that the special image effects of Scribus 1.3.5
> depend on a call to Gimp to do the actual work, just as the export
> to pdf depends on Ghostscript. The list of functions looks a lot
> like a litany of Gimp capabilities. If I am wrong would someone who
> knows please explain how these effects are done programmatically?

i'm pretty sure scribus doesn't use gimp to apply those effects.

generally spoken, it may be true that scribus used to let you apply
effects to eps and doesn't any more.

there may also be reason why, this is not possible anymore.

you may fill a bug report and see if it can be fixed (if possible
attaching one of the older eps and the new one).

still, imho it doesn't make much sense to apply effects to an eps files:
 nowadays i would use that format only for pictures which have to
be inserted as is in your .sla document.
for every other picture, i would use .jpeg, .png or tiff, depending on
the type of picture.

and, if you want to get 1.3.4, just install any stable version of
ubuntu or debian and you will get it as scribus-ng (i've never thought,
it would have been suggesting such a thing!).

good luck
a.l.e