[scribus] Image colorize no longer works?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jul 13 15:28:39 CEST 2009

On Thursday 09 July 2009 06:21:12 pm Owen wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:02:28 +0200
>
> Tijl Vercaemer <tijl.vercaemer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Scribus 1.3.5 rc3 on OpenSUSE.
> > In older versions, I used to have a number of non-destructive
> > image effects. But now, when I click the "image effects" button
> > (in the "manage images" dialog), nothing happens. The button
> > doesn't respond to the mouse click. (I'm using a Dutch version,
> > so I'm guessing the English names of the button and dialog)
> > I have an old sla file that used the "colorize" effect on a
> > number of images. When I open the file now in Scribus 1.3.5
> > rc3, the images still have their original color, not the new
> > color I gave them. According to the information in the XML, the
> > document was created using Scribus 1.3.4. (on ubuntu, in case
> > that matters). The image effect looks like this in the XML:
> > <ImageEffect Param="White 100" Code="2" />
> > But I don't see a white image in Scribus, I see a black one.
> >
> > Is this a known issue? Is it a Scribus issue, or a Suse-only
> > issue?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have 1.3.5 rc3 (date of 29 Jun) but it has been built from svn
>
> The colorize works just fine for me
>
> Why don't you open a new document in 1.3.5 rc3 and insert an
> image, then do the colorize operation and see if that works
>
> If it does, it might be something to do with the 1.3.4 sla file
>

> Owen

As a side note I RTFM and discovered that there are two levels of
image effects.  The first level works with any bitmapped image and
the second only with PSD files or tiff files produced with layers
from Photoshop.    Gimp produced files will not export layers to
tiff files, and won't write PSD files at all.

Also Scribus is "non-destructive" to the extent that the original
image file on disk is not altered, only the copy in Scribus, as
best I understand the process.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95