[scribus] Font in PDF does not match screen

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:47:10 CEST 2009

Christoph Schäfer said the following at 07/17/2009 09:14 PM :

> I think we're talking about 2 different issues here. Many licenses of
> commercial fonts simply don't permit embedding. There is sometimes also a bit
> set in those fonts that some programs read and consequently refuse embedding.
> Scribus doesn't do this, and thus you are always advised to read the license
> of the font you plan to embed to find out what's permitted and what isn't.
>
> But since Scribus lets its users decide, if they want to follow the license
> conditions at their own risk, it does make sense to add the font embedding
> setting to the PDF tab in Document Setup/Preferences, which is planned.

That's an improvement, but doesn't it also make sense to issue a warning?
Maybe if the default is going to be "Embed all fonts" a warning isn't
necessary, but otherwise realistically the unwary user isn't going to know
that he has to change this setting.

I really am concerned about this biting the unwary user who is simply
trying to produce an occasional document, just as I was. I would never
think of looking to see whether there was some setting, whether global or
local to the document, that might affect this detail of document rendering;
especially if I'd looked at the document and it looked fine on my system.

It was pure chance that I happened to use acroread and noticed the problem.
And even then, the cause wasn't obvious (witness my original posting).

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR