[scribus] Colour Profiles - make colour matching worse!

Calum Polwart cpolwart at wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 19:24:38 CEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:46:54 +0100
Calum Polwart <cpolwart at wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> > > You'll notice that PDF1.4 is far clearer than the X3 document...?
> > >  Yet this is the same desktop so should they not either all
> > > render the same or left and centre be the same?
> > >
> > > Calum
> >
> > What you see on screen, what you see on your desktop printer and
> > what your commercial printing shop will produce are all different.
> > I wouldn't fool with X/3 unless you have a good reason to.
> >

> I dismay!  Surely the point of icc is to make all those appear the same?  I realise there are limitations of 'the same' but I can say that what Acrobat shows is pretty damned close to what my desktop inkjet spits out.  So those two (Acrobat on MY monitor and MY inkjet printer) seem to talk that same colour... ...So I'm still baffled!  Surely the X3 should display the picture right on screen and then add the extra blackness at the printing on paper stage of thats whats needed for that printing process...

The plot thickens!  Because actually the only way I can get the 'right' colours to show in Acrobat is to export for screen instead of print.  But when I print them from acrobat to my inkjet it creates the same overly darkened images.  Doesn't make much difference if I turn ICM on or off on the printer.  So my best description of what is happening is:

- Export to X3 (or any other export for printer) seems to be rendering the images as they will print.  So acrobat shows them correctly
- Exporting for screen / web renders them well in acrobat but they print just the same (near enough)

So what's my solution?  Clearly getting a proof would be good but if the proof is rubbish then what?  I'd prefer to get something close to what I want out my inkjet then get the proof to check it.

Do I just reduce the contrast / brightness to get what I need?