[scribus] Colour Profiles - make colour matching worse!

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Mon Jul 27 10:33:37 CEST 2009

> It would seem logical that if CIELAB is a colour space that can describe
> anything the human eye can perceive, that all images be stored
> internally in this format. This then requires a profile that describes
> the conversion of each input devices colour space to CIELAB, and another
> profile for each output space describing the conversion from CIELAB to
> the printer specific output.

Yes, BUT, image fles would then become bigger. But I think 3x16 bits
per pixel is enough for CIELAB.

That's why images have traditionally been stored with integer RGB
values. Good old GIF even used a 256 color index to 24 bit colors (so
even if it supports 24 bit colors, an image can only contain max 256
of them).

It is also very unintuitive to work in CIELAB because it is a
3-dimensional colorspace, most people prefer to work in RGB because it
is more intuitive what color component you should adjust to get the
desired result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIELAB

/Peter