[scribus] editing table

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jul 27 19:35:06 CEST 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009 08:34:15 pm John Beardmore wrote:
> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > ...If I need borders
> > then I typically create the table in OpenOffice.org Writer,
> > being careful to mimic the text styles that I am using the
> > Scribus document. Then I print to file from Writer. In Scribus
> > I use File > Import > Get Vector File, which imports the file
> > as grouped vector objects. It's not editable in Scribus because
> > printing to file converts all the text to outlines.
>
> What sort of file do you print to from OO ?
>
> > A lot of people have been asking for real tables for a long
> > time, but it is not going to happen for quite a while yet. I
> > can only assume that the developers have decided it is too
> > complex to tackle right now.
>
> Which is a serious PITA for those of us doing any kind of
> technical work !

Decades ago programming guru Grace Hopper cautioned against using
FORTRAN for COBOL tasks and vice versa. At its current incarnation
Scribus is excellent for  book covers,  ad copy, flyers, and
newsletters.  It doesn't yet measure up for technical works with
lots of tables, footnotes and the like.  And long works are a
challenge for Scribus.  I suppose that with 1.3.5 or later one
could call on one of several table macro sets that are available
with TeX (I like the Texsys table macros) but then the problem of
future correction still exists.  It is both easier and more
satisfactory to do that book entirely in TeX, either pdftex plus
eplain, Context, or pdflatex (in decreasing order of my
preference.)

The future looks bright. But there are limitations on the present.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95