[scribus] Colour Profiles - make colour matching worse!

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 23:21:20 CEST 2009

Peter Nermander wrote:

>> OK, but that might be small price to pay if it made CMS accessible to
>> more users. At the moment, complexity makes it less than worthwhile for
>> most people.
>
> It wouldn't make it easier, because you would still need a profile for
> each output device.

Yes, but presumably at the moment, for each input device you need a
profile for each supported internal representation, or if there isn't an
internal representation, each intended output device ?

> All colors in CIELAB can't be shown on a monitor, and all colors in
> CIELAB can't be printed. Some of the colors in CIELAB can be shown on
> a minitor but not printed, and some colors in CIELAB can be printed
> but now shown on a monitor.
>
> Also, a color that can be shown on one monitor might not be possible
> to show on another, as well as some printers won't be able to print
> colors that other printers can print.

Understood.

> This is where the rendering intent come into place (and this is the
> reason Pantone and similar "color indexes" exists).

Possibly, but presumably these describe a specific colour, but you still
can't represent them on every output device. Maybe you just buy a bottle
of the right ink ?

> There als also colors that can not be reproduced in i digital image.
> Gold and silver are two.

Not sure that gold is a colour. Reflectivity is perhaps more of a
surface property ?

> You can not show gold or silver color on a
> monitor, nor can you print it with CMYK inks.

No, but you can print the colours in an image reflected off the surface
of a lump of gold.

> The same goes for many
> flouroscent colors.

Well -  you can't reproduce the property of fluorescence in CYMK print,
but you might have a stab at representing the colour fluoresced.

Yes -  there are loads of things that you can't represent accurately,
e.g. very monochromatic colours, but as these aren't the problems that
CMS intends to address, I'm not sure that's either here or there ?

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor