[scribus] editing table

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jul 28 03:04:41 CEST 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 05:27:28 pm John Beardmore wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> >>
> >> What sort of file do you print to from OO ?

> >> Which is a serious PITA for those of us doing any kind of
> >> technical work !
> >
> > Decades ago programming guru Grace Hopper cautioned against
> > using FORTRAN for COBOL tasks and vice versa.
> >
> :)  And he may have been half right depending on how he defined
> : FORTRAN
>
> and COBOL tasks.

"He" was definitely a she, when I listened to her address meetings
of the local ACM chapter she was a Lt. Cdr. in the U. S. Navy.  And
she did not just define tasks for COBOL, she defined COBOL.  She
invented it in about 1958. COBOL was a dollars and cents language,
as befits a language named  COmmon Business Oriented Language.
FORTRAN was a FORmula TRANslator for engineers, scientists and
matematicians. FORTRAN had real, double and integer number types.

The kind of work each was good for was defined in part by the kinds
of data types available.

Grace Murray Hopper was finally retired with the rank of Rear
Admiral from the deck of the U. S. Constitution, a frigate that saw
action in the American Revolution and the War of 1812. When during
the TV broadcast her wheel chair was pushed up the gangway to pass
between the ranks of sideboys in their knee britches and three
corner hats the command was "Hats off, the Admiral is coming
aboard."   Her flag was hoisted  to the mizzen  peak for the first
and last time.

I wept a little. You see I am still a COBOL programmer at heart, and
she was Grandma COBOL.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95