[scribus] Colour Profiles - make colour matching worse!

Philipp Klaus Krause pkk at spth.de
Tue Jul 28 20:17:51 CEST 2009

Craig schrieb:
> Philipp Klaus Krause wrote:
>> Peter Nermander schrieb:
>>> I just realised I forgot to link to Norman Korens excellent pages:
>>>
>>> http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html
>>>
>>> Read them, read them again, unitl you understand them. Then you can
>>> start looking for the profiles you need, the equipment needed to
>>> profile your monitor and printer (and paper, one profile is needed for
>>> each combination of ink and paper you use).
>> Scribus should display a scary warning when a user enables color
>> profiles. As we've read numerous times on this list enabling color
>> profiles without knowing a lot about color management makes the final
>> result worse.
>
> While Scribus is aimed at many audiences, do you not think that users
> are expected to learn the tools they are using too?
>
> Craig

They are, but it can be a good idead to warn them of the pitfalls ahead.
Many users seem to think that "enabling" color management will improve
quality. They use some default profiles or something without knowing
exactly what they do. Some of them then post on this list, telling us
how their colors appear all messed up, much worse than they were without
color management.
The current situation results in learning the hard way, including
wasting paper, ink and money.

Philipp