[scribus] Page construction - Part deux

Jean Basile jean.basile at yahoo.fr
Tue Jul 28 21:23:41 CEST 2009

Thank you for your answers on the first thread. And Greg, although you already know that - you are right. I thought some more about the Gutenberg's initial design and the space is excessive. Not because today's standards or economic constraints, but because that book was intended to receive annotations. So for the time being I have chosen 2:3:4:6cm space on a two-fold on A4 paper.

The next question is if it is ok a two column design on a A4 page. From what I gather is quite seldom used. But it's that unusual look which I find rather interesting. It does fit about 48 characters per column line (not counting the space - is this how it's supposed to be counted?) and justified text leads to some rivers in texts.

In this two column set left aligned with hyphenation looks ok to me. But does it count as a problem to have the two columns of a page aligned left so in the middle you have one straight line to the right and a ragged line to the left?

Finally, is it ok to post design questions here? After all the list should be about the functionality of scribus.

Cheers,
Jean