[scribus] portable Scribus

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 17:33:28 CEST 2009

GianLuca Sarto wrote:

> John,
>
> I appreciate your comment.
>
> Usually, a forum is my resort when I already spent hours troubleshooting
> myself.
>
> Even if Scribus is free, nontheless there is a hidden cost of wasted
> hours just trying to start the program, while the project is sitting
> there, waiting to go on.
>
> Although I hate the commercial attitude of Adobe, I never recall not
> being able to launch an executable.

Sorry if I sounded rude -  I know what you mean, but when I've had
problems, however basic or obscure, people here have been really
supportive and solutions have invariably been found, even if it takes a
day or two.

You are able to start the executable in the general case, so if you
can't in a particular case, you have to isolate the difference in
circumstance which may not be a Scribus issue at all.

Out of interest as an experiment, if you (can you ?) rename your
scribus.exe to scribus.old, then do a

  copy WhereEverItIs\notepad.exe to \program "files\scribus\scribus.exe"

what happens then when users try to start scribus ?

Can the user who has the problem start the copy of notepad named as
scribus ?  If so, it's likely to be a scribus problem. If not, it's
probably an invocation / OS settings or context / permissions / policy
sort of problem.

Just a thought, but it might help to tie things down a bit.

Cheer, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor