[scribus] portable Scribus

Patrick Ernst patrick at aroaustralia.com
Fri Jul 31 05:18:46 CEST 2009

Hi GianLuca

GianLuca Sarto wrote:
> well, Greg,
>
> the question here is about trying to understand how Scribus works, and
> explain why it would run from an usb key but not from the desktop.
>
> After all this mailing list is about Scribus, not Samba.
>
> I have a fair knowledge about Samba, although I'm not a guru, and the
> user doesn't have any issue with any other application she runs,
> reading or writing, locally or on a Samba share.
>
> So what's the point in investigating Samba?
>
> -Gian
An awkward problem, to be sure. Samba is unlikely to be the problem. Do
you have Group Policies in place? These can restrict desktop users to
"approved" applications. It is possible that an anti-virus application
has put Scribus on a disabled list. These normally work by path eg
c:\program files\scribus\scribus .exe rather than scribus.exe alone - to
avoid renaming tricks. This could account for mobile scribus working -
different path.

cheers