[scribus] Ghost Script?

arthamax at sbcglobal.net arthamax at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 1 21:35:44 CEST 2009

Hi,
I am using a Mac PPC G4 with Tiger 10.4.11 and I recently downloaded
Scribus_1.3.5SVN_RC1_170509.dmg (2009-05-17). When I installed and
opened it a window appeared saying I needed Ghostscript.

I found and downloaded ghostscript 8.64 along with a "corresponding"
ghostpdl 1.54(?). They were folders with no info or installation
instructions and they're just sitting on the desktop.

So I went to "http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=readme-
macosx" were it says:

"Before Installing Scribus: Install Ghostscript for Mac OSX –
Ghostscript 8.60+ or newer is recommended. This is important for EPS,
PS import and printing. You may also install this via MacPorts or
Fink. The end result is the same."

"Ghostscript 8.60+" above was a link to download Ghostscript which
included an installation procedure.

So I deleted the Scribus application, downloaded and installed
Ghostscript 8.60+ and then downloaded and reinstalled Scribus.

When I opened Scribus the window about Ghostscript being needed did
not reappear but when I clicked on "About Scribus" the window opened
stating:

Scribus Version 1.3.5.rc1
Build ID: C-C-T-F-Q-Mac/Aqua-Big
Using Ghostscript version 8.57

The Ghostscript version is not the recommended 8.60+ but 8.57 and I
would like to upgrade to the Ghostscript 8.64 on my desktop but I
don't know how to do it.

At Scribus > Preferences > External Tools there is a path "/usr/local/
bin/gs" and when I click on "Change..." and the "Locate Ghostscript"
dialog appears but I don't know how to use it to upgrade to
Ghostscript 8.64.

At Scribus Help > Advanced Ghostscript and GSview Hints it says:
"So, how does one get the latest GS for Scribus and GSview - without
breaking your existing distribution printing setup? The secret: a
parallel build of GS.
Disclaimer: This works for me. It could wreck your system, catch your
hair on fire and other nastiness." This is way over my head – I don't
even know what a "build" is!

And I am totally clueless on what to do with the "corresponding"
ghostpdl 1.54 that I downloaded with Ghostscript 8.64. I don't know
what it is or even if I really need it.

I am a computer novice and would very much appreciate it if someone
could give me step by step commands to upgrade to Ghostscript 8.64
and also tell me what to do with Ghostpdl 1.54. or where I can go to
get these explicit commands. I don't have enough experience to
understand explanations and descriptions. Either there is a command
path procedure for Mac users to upgrade to Ghostscript 8.64 or their
isn't.

Or I can delete Scribus and start all over if someone can give me the
explicit commands to install Ghostscript 8.64 directly from my
desktop into "Macintosh HD" so that when I download Scribus again it
can find it and incorporate it the way it did with the earlier
installed Ghostscript 8.57. Can I just drop the Ghostscript 8.64
folder on the Macintosh HD icon?

This is my first posting and if this mailing list does not deal
directly and explicitly with such basic issues for Mac users please
let me know.

Thank you for any assistance.