[scribus] The Ghosts of Images Past

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 23:48:02 CEST 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 04:25:03 +0200
Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> dijo:

> > > > > The original PS images for those two pages are not in the document.
> > > > > OK, they must be in the document, else how could Scribus be sending
> > > > > them to the printer? But they do not appear on screen. Preflight
> > > > > Manager sees nothing. Manage Images sees nothing. Plus, I *know* I
> > > > > deleted all six of them.
> > > > >
> > > > > Shaking head in bafflement. Does anyone have any suggestions?
> > > >
> > > > I forgot to add:
> > > >
> > > > Printing the pages to CUPS-PDF produces a PDF file that looks identical
> > > > to the incorrect print output. But exporting the pages to PDF from
> > > > Scribus produces a PDF file with the correct pages (without the ghost
> > > > image).

> > > That sounds like an ugly bug. However, it would be interesting to know if
> > > the deleted PS files are still listed in the Document Outline.

> > No, they are not still listed in the Document Outline. That is, except
> > for a period that apparently didn't get deleted when I deleted the six
> > PS groups.
> >
> > However, while looking in Document Outline I found a bunch of other
> > things that may or may not be related. First, go to this bug report:
> >
> > http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8114
> >
> > While looking in Document Outline I found a number of items that were
> > grouped with other items, where I never deliberately grouped them. In
> > fact, strange as it seems, one group of lines was grouped to four lines
> > of text in a multipage story. WTF? How do you group just selected lines
> > of text in a story to a graphic object?
> I think there's a fix underway for this bug. Maybe we should wait until it's 
> in, and then you can try again. If the issue still persists after the fix, 
> you could upload the file somewhere, so that we can have a look at it.

I have recently upgraded to 1.3.5 Rc2. The unwanted grouping bug
appears to be fixed. However, the strange printing problem remains. 

Remember that there are six pages that have a story in six text frames.
On top of each frame are multiple grouped lines. The multiple grouped
lines were a major hassle due to the unwanted grouping bug. After
upgrading to Rc2 I deleted everything on all six pages, including the
text frames (saving the story, of course). Then I recreated all the
text frames, reflowed the text through them, and recreated all the
lines on top of them. 

These six pages orginally had PS images written to file from OOo. That
is, the six pages had originally been created in OOo with all the
formatting and lines, and it was easier just to write to six PS files
and place them one on each of the six pages. Now I am recreating the
formatting and lines in Scribus (looks much nicer!). I deleted all six
PS images, but the last two must still be in the document somewhere
because they are still appearing in the printout - with the new Scribus
text and formatting superimposed. 

The six PS images are still on disk, so I renamed each one and moved
them to a different folder, just in case Scribus was somehow linking to

I have also done a Save As. And I have even completely rebooted the

I get the same two pages with the old images superimposed if I print to
file or if I print to CUPS-PDF, and also in Print > Preview. But if I
export from Scribus as PDF it comes out correct. Hence, the bug must be
in the print routines somewhere. But how bizarre!

I searched Mantis on "print" and didn't come up with anything. But I'm
notoriously bad at searching for things. If someone can link me to any
bugs that might be related to this problem it would be helpful.

Any other suggestions are also welcome. Even if it's just a stray
thought, it might fire a neuron in my head that might lead me to figure
something out. It still might be something that I did and not a bug.

More information about the scribus mailing list