[scribus] Help! Measurements Changed

JohnReed Maffeo aldeveron at graffiti.net
Mon Jun 8 20:40:57 CEST 2009

---snip
> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 19:47:01 -0700
> From: "JohnReed Maffeo" <aldeveron at graffiti.net>
> Subject: [scribus] Help! Measurements Changed
---snip

> I have spent the past four months preparing a children's book using
> inches for my measurements. Today all of the dimensions have
> changed to cm. I can not figure out how to change it back and it is
> very confusing for me to have to switch. Please, someone, tell me
> how to change my measurements back to inches.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John-Reed
---snip

> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:43:42 +0930
> From: Samps <listman at unplugd.com>
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Help! Measurements Changed
---snip
> In the 'File' menu, under 'preferences', 'Document'....  is a spinbox that can
> be used to change units of measurements. See if that does it for you?
>
> Samps
>---snip
> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 09:20:11 +0200
> From: "a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
>> you can change in file > document setup or use the  select switch the
> bottom "toolbar".
>
> hope that helps
> a.l.e
---snip
> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:20:56 +1000
> From: Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au>>
---snip
> File->Preferences->Document and set to inches, then restart and see
> what happens
>

> Owen
---snip

Owen, a.l.e, Samps,

WOW! What a helpful group. Thank You.

I was looking just about everywhere but the right spot. I found it and changed the setting from cm to inches. Unfortunately, this did not solve my entire problem. What I have now is a document that has all of my images offset to the top of the first page as if the document were one long page rather than a series of single pages. It looks like something got clobbered when I last saved the file. My most recent backup opens with the values I expect and individual pages displayed properly. I hope that I can recover from that backup because I am way past my deadline.

Is there any possibility that a change to the monitor settings could have an impact on the document settings? While Scribus was open, I changed the resolution of the monitor and then saved the file. That is the only thing that I can think of which may have had an impact other than some random file error.

I worked on this for four hours last night and I could not recover my current version. It was not a simple matter of changing a parameter value. Something else has changed as well.My plan for tonight is to start with my backup and apply the most recent set of modifications. I have a good quality print out of the document so I should be able to get back on track.

Up till now, I have been very happy with Scribus. It has done everything that I needed and was not to hard to figure out.

Thank you again for your support. Once the book is published, I will post it as another success story on the wiki.

John-Reed