[scribus] Speed and CPU

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 11 21:37:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:01:56 +0100
John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > Scribus has always been slow, and 1.3.5 Rc2 is no exception. ...
> > I read here comments that Scribus is fairly quick on 64-bit computers.
> > That leads me to wonder if there is something in my configuration that
> > is making Scribus not take advantage of all the resources available.
> >
> > While working on my current project System Monitor reports Scribus as
> > using close to a GB of RAM, but the CPU usage is not as high as I would
> > expect. For example, while waiting to be able to drag a complex object
> > I would expect the CPU usage to max out, but it does not. I also have a
> > little CPU speed indicator applet in the Gnome panel which shows 800 -
> > 1200 - 1600 - 2000 depending on the speed. While waiting for Scribus to
> > do something it usually stays at 800.
>
> So does linux automatically adjust the speed of your cores depending on
> the priority of the job ?
>
> Does this improve if you renice scribus to 0 or higher ?

Unfortunately, these questions exceed my job description level. :(

> Find the PID of scribus with the
>
>      ps -fe command
>
> then try a
>
>      renice 0 PidNumber
>

> Let us know if that perks it up.

The results were:

21820: old priority 0, new priority 0

And it didn't make any difference in the performance. You said "or
higher." I note that when I look at running apps in System Monitor the
nice column shows 0 for all apps. I guess I need to learn what "nice"
does.

It still seems to me that it ought to be faster than it is on this
computer. And when I watch System Monitor while waiting for Scribus to
do something that is probably pretty CPU intensive (e.g., grouping or
ungrouping complex objects), it doesn't take any more of the CPU. Maybe
it's being too nice.