[scribus] Glyphs in a font not appearing

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jun 14 17:29:20 CEST 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:30:25 +0200
Craig Bradney <mrb at scribus.info> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:56:20 -0400
> > Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:

> >> While your Story Editor font may contain these characters, apparently
> >> the font for the frame does not.
> >>

> > It's the same font.
> >
> Not necessarily.
>
> The font's missing glyphs may be copied from another font or auto
> generated for the GUI. Scribus will not do that.

I understand what is happening now.

I always knew that Scribus (like InDesign) will not display a glyph
that is not truly in the font. This is as it should be, since otherwise
problems can result when sending files out to be printed. However, I
think it is wrong for the Stoy Editor to grab a glyph from another
font. That is what confused me. I did not realize that the Story Editor
would lie to me. It should not and I should add a feature request that
this behavior be changed so that Story Editor displays only the glyphs
that are truly in the font.