[scribus] Importing styles, same problem as with copy/paste?

Ole Madsen philimorept at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 00:31:29 CEST 2009

Chris Tregenza wrote the following:

>  Importing Styles
>
>  The problem I was originally seeking help on is this:
>
> A possible newbie question but I cannot find anything the FAQ / Wiki.
>
> I have an Open Office (3.0.1) Writer document with some basic styles set
> up.
>
> Importing the document into a frame in Scribus using Get Text with the
> importer set to Automatic, I select Overwrite and Merge Paragraph Styles
> on the Open Document Importer Options.
>
> The text is imported and formatted OK, styles are created and everything
> looks right.
>
> However when I go into Story Editor, everything is marked as 'No Style'.
> It seems whilst the text is formatted according to the styles, the text
> is not linked to the styles.
>
> I was expecting all the text to linked to the imported styles so that I
> could tweak the styles in Scribus and have the updated formatting
> applied to all the text using that style.
>
> Is this a bug or user error?
>
> Running OSX 10.5, using 1.3.5svn, build ID C-C-T-F-Q-Mac/Aqua

This sounds familiar.  When I do a copy/paste of a text frame the font selection and the font size makes it over to the new location OK, but the paragraph spacing does not.  Therefore, the text no longer fits into the same space as it occupied before the move.

When I open the Story editor, the reason becomes obvious: I had defined a style with a somewhat smaller font size and assigned that style to the empty lines between paragraphs.  However, now all styles have been re-set to 'No Style'. So now all lines, including the empty ones, have the same spacing.

(I don't know if that is the best way to adjust spacing between paragraphs, but it worked with 1.3.3.13.)

At the very least the problem appears to be consistent and repeatable, and we now know that it rears its ugly head both with OSX and Mandriva 2009.1.
Let us hope that someone finds a way to fix it.

(Mandriva 2009.1, Scribus 1.3.5svn)

Ole