[scribus] Running Scribus 1.3.3.13 on Windows XP

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jun 23 14:05:58 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 02:48:24 am Lori Jiacinto wrote:
> I've been reading about Scribus and finally downloaded it today
> to try it out...and I'm having problems with it.  This is Scribus
> 1.3.3.13 prebuilt for Windows, installed from the installer; I'm
> running Windows XP, and I've installed Ghostscript 8.64.
>
> The first problem I've observed is there is no "paper" shown in
> the GUI.  I am working through the "Scribus Quick Start Guide",
> and when I created a new page, there was no "page" drawn on the
> GUI...just rulers on the edges.  When I would add a shape and
> change its color, all I saw were red box outlines; the only way I
> found to see my page properly was with the print preview.  I
> restarted Scribus in console mode, and there are many messages:
> "ASSERT: "src_dc && dst_dc" in kernel\qpaintdevice_win.cpp (388)
>    QPixmap: Invalid pixmap parameters".  What did I do
> incorrectly, and what should I do to fix this and see the
> document I'm creating?
>
> The second problem occurred when I attempted to insert a .JPG
> image and Scribus crashed.  From the console window:  "Scribus
> Crash ----------------------- Scribus crashes due to the
> following exception : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION     Calling
> Emergency Save".
>
> I thought I had followed the Windows installation instructions
> correctly...  Is there a step I missed somewhere?
>
> Kind regards,
> Lori

I have a bit of pity for those who still struggle with Windows. But
you need to install Ghostscript first, and then Scribus.  I assume
no knowledge of Scribus at this point.  Don't be insulted if I
describe the first steps in great detail.

The paper you see fills and overfills the Scribus viewport. Try
changing the view to 50% (Click the menu header "View" on the top
bar) and you will see the entire page image. This doesn't change
the page,  just your view of the page.

The crash when bringing in a JPEG file is more challenging. The
usual way to bring in a picture file is to create a graphic frame
first, then right click on that frame and choose the menu item
"Get image."  Did you do that?  Do you know how to draw a graphic
frame on the page?  There are three different ways.  They all work.
The simplest is to type "i" on the blank page and then left click
and  stretch out the  frame to size with the mouse. You should see
a frame with dotted borders, a big x in the middle and little red
boxes (handles) around the periphery.  Right click inside the frame
to get to a menu.

There are lots of howtos and wiki items to help you out, but the
elusive Official Manual is the most comprehensive guide.

If you describe what steps you went through to import the jpeg
graphic then perhaps we can be of more help.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95