[scribus] OT: Interesting Camera/Mega-Pixel Article

Jeffrey Silverman jeffrey.d.silverman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:31:47 CET 2009

John, one thing I've realized -- and this is wrt computers, (and
applies to cameras as well) -- is that my uses are nowhere near the
same as "most uses".

However there was no real definition of "most uses" supplied so that
is part of the problem. I think "most uses" means "snapshots, usually
printed no larger than 5x7". I don't think that will apply to
professional photographers or people interested in publishing (i.e.
the subscribers to this mailing list) but that wasn't really my point,
I suppose. Being the "tech guy" in the family (my brother is as well),
"mom" or "father in law" or whoever will ask questions like "Jeffrey,
what digital camera should I get? How many megapixels do I need blah
blah" and my first answer is usually "don't even bother". My second
answer, though, is usually, "number of pixels is irrelevant these
days" and, though technically not true, it is true enough.

I am all about pedanticalness but sometimes you gotta take the
audience into account.

So, taking this audience into account: you need at least 32MP;
anything else is too small.

Seeya!

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM, John Beardmore <John at t4sltd.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
>
>> Well certainly there is a lower limit to the required number of
>> pixels. Personally, for most uses, I think that lower limit is actuall
>> only 3MP.  And you can't even get a 3MP camera these days. So for all
>> intents and porpoises, the statement that "pixels don't matter" is
>> true these days.
>
> Well, my personal use my not be "most uses", but as I'm frequently
> interested in the details rather than the composition of a whole frame, but
> increasing numbers of pixels are certainly helping here. YMMV.
>

> Cheers, J/.
> --
> John Beardmore, MSc EDM (Open), B.A. Chem (Oxon), CMIOSH, AIEMA, MEI
> Managing Director, T4 Sustainability Limited. http://www.T4sLtd.co.uk/
> Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
> Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor
> Phone: 0845 4561332   Mobile: 07785 563116   Skype: t4sustainability

JDS