[scribus] Windows can't crash - very strange comment

Calum Polwart cpolwart at wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 22:50:08 CET 2009

> On covers etc. the occasional Scribus freeze or crash is
> best handled by fairly frequent saves of the sla file. In
> fact that should be a feature of Scribus -- timed saves to
> the original file or preferably to a different named backup
> file (a la Vim) with a short interval, perhaps every 5
> seconds or so, user selectable.  As I remember it was only
> an unstable version that ever crashed.

It is... they are saved to a file called something like *.sla.bak just
rename it, and it'll open.

If your really lucky you may get *.sla.emergency (although its years
(1.2 release of scribus) since I had one of them!)

Only trouble with autosaves is if the file is huge it takes a while...
So 5 seconds is not real!  I have mine set at 5 minutes on the svn
version which I have to say does fall over from time to time.  Just
remember to press save after doing fiddly stuff...

Advantage of scribus crashes on linux over certain other software on
windows is it usually only crashes scribus.  On certain other software
it can take down the whole OS!  But would agree with comments before XP
has become relatively stable... must have been why M$ released vista as
their users would get worried if they had a stable platform!