[scribus] Scribus vs. QuarkXpress

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Aug 2 04:28:06 CEST 2010

On Sunday 01 August 2010 18:24:24 a.l.e wrote:
> ladies and gentlemen,
>
> let me disagree!

I got started with slackware Linux more than a decade ago not because it
was free but because it was better, IMO at least. Previously I spent money
for OS/2 and Coherent.  Since then I have had a policy of working only with
Open Source software. Scribus is special because it is Open Source but also
because it is useful, reliable and easy to learn. And I never have to fuss
with keying in a long set of numbers just to install or upgrade.

There are tasks for which I won't use Scribus, such as book length projects.
There are IMO better tools.

There are other Open Source items that are distinctly inferior, such as many
of the apps in the KDE world.  So it is not just one factor but several that
enter into the decision process.  But I am very happy to have found Scribus.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press