[scribus] Scribus 1.3.8 vs 1.3.3.13svn

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 14:52:19 CEST 2010

I have just finished installing Scribus 1.3.8 (Build ID: C-C-T-F-C1.8.10-64bit) in Kubuntu 10.04. It is very different from 1.3.3.13svn! I was wondering if there was some kind of simple comparison chart between the two versions to help me to find the familiar controls/buttons and to briefly describe some of the new features.

A few things that I noticed immediately were:
1. If I open a document created with the older version, some of the text frames became too small to contain the text in them (I had to make them slightly larger).
2. The "Properties" windows are quite different and take a bit of exploring to figure out how to use them.
3. The new version seems to be a lot faster! I haven't done enough to be certain of this, but that was my impression.
4. There seem to be quite a few more buttons at the top, and the icons for the usual ones look very different.
5. Once you get used to it, the rulers are better as they have more detail

Thanks to the developers for all their hard work in creating and improving a great software tool!

Murray