[scribus] Scribus 1.3.8 vs 1.3.3.13svn

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 05:28:35 CEST 2010

On Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 6:01 AM, "a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

Murray Strome wrote:
> I have just finished installing Scribus 1.3.8 (Build ID: C-C-T-F-C1.8.10-64bit) in Kubuntu 10.04. It is very different from 1.3.3.13svn! I was wondering if there was some kind of simple comparison chart between the two versions to help me to find the familiar controls/buttons and to briefly describe some of the new features.

comparison chart:

1.3.3.13     1.3.8
bad            good

---
Well, I would not say 1.3.3.13svn was "bad", and having played with it for a few hours now, I have found a few more problems with 1.3.8:

1. It has crashed a few times -- I cannot remember the last time 1.3.3.13 ever crashed (on Kubuntu) on me.
2. If I try to copy and paste a group of image frames in 1.3.8, the Y position of the pasted group is really weird! For example, if I have four photo frames which have a Y position of something like 130mm, when I copy those and paste them, the new Y position of the pasted group becomes something like -452.385 mm.
3. Sometimes, the text frames cannot be selected. I have to close the document and reopen it in order to modify the text frames. This is rather annoying!

I don't know if these are bugs or if I am simply doing something wrong.
=============
the problem with writing a comparison chart is that people who knows what features are in 1.3.8 have not used 1.3.3.x for years...
=============
1.3.3.13 is what has been in the standard ubuntu repository for quite some time now. I don't think 1.3.8 is as stable, although it is usable.

> 1. If I open a document created with the older version, some of the text frames became too small to contain the text in them (I had to make them slightly larger).

could you please upload one of those documents to the bug tracker and attach a pdf created with 1.3.3.13 and one created with 1.3.8 to compare the differences?
===
OK, I will try that. Actually, I no longer have 1.3.3.13 on my system; it has been upgraded to 1.3.3.14. I have produced a one page document originally created by 1.3.3.13 and opened with both 1.3.3.14 and 1.3.8 and produced PDF files for both. Once I know where to upload them to, I will try to upload the four files: 2 .sla and 2 .pdf.
===

have fun with scribus 1.3.8
a.l.e
=====
For the most part, WHEN it works, it seems to work fine, but it has a lot of new things to learn.

Murray