[scribus] Opening MS Publisher files

Trevor Jenkins bslwannabe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 14:00:15 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi trevor,
>

> > But you miss the point. I don't want to own a machine that runs
> > Windows in order to compensate for the idiocy of those who do and use
> > Publisher in the mis-gotten belief that it is a DTP application.
>
> do you want the scribus team to work on a filter for .pub files to
> compensate for that idiocy?

Yes.

i tried to keep your example and show you, where i feel that the problem is.
> i may have missed the point.
>
> still, i don't understand what you want from the scribus community.
>
> can you tell me exactly what you expect from the people reading the mailing
> list?

The most obvious thing is not to continue suggest keeping  a Windows system
and let it eat up disk space I could use for productive work.

> what do you plan to do with it?

With the mailing list or the mythic filter? For the latter process the
occasional PUB files people send me.

> what would be your own contribution?

Well anything from software design, coding, Q&A, documentation.

The one thing I can't (won't) do is reverse engineer the format; that would
mandate I purchase a copies of Publisher (to cope with Microsoft's own
inability to handle version changes) and a copy of Windows.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!