[scribus] installation/startup

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 10 14:57:28 CEST 2010

Kaaren Beckhof wrote:
[]
> this is what I get from Console:
>
> Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
[]
> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _open$UNIX2003
>   Referenced from:
> /Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libfreetype.6.dylib
>   Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
[]
> O have no clue what it means...

It means that this build of Scribus does not run on MacOSX 10.4.

 From looking at the binaries of Scribus-1.3.8 as distributed in
Scribus_1.3.8.dmg from Sourceforge, it seems to me that whoever built
this has made some effort to make it compatible with MacOSX 10.4, but
did not succeed.

Some binaries, like the Scribus executable itself, or the Qt frameworks,
seem to have been compiled with 10.4-compatible tools, but most of the
supporting dynamic libraries, like the above-mentioned libfreetype, have
not.

Does it say somewhere that this build should run on MacOSX 10.4?

--
Martin