[scribus] Upgrading Scribus

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Wed Aug 11 23:03:23 CEST 2010

On 8/11/10 11:00 PM, Murray Strome wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:57 AM, "Gerard Cunningham"
<gerard at faduda.net> wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on an old Acer Extensa 2000 laptop.
>>

> I'm using 10.04 on an old lenovo. Scribus 1.3.3.14 should be in your
> repositories. System|Administration|Synaptic Package Manager
>

> And if you want the latest development version, see the instructions at
> http://www.scribus.net/?q=debian
>

>> Have been persevering with Scribus 1.3.3.13 for a little while and decided
>> maybe I should upgrade it to the 1.3.3.14 version - so I downloaded this
>> morning the Scribus 1.3.3.14.tar.bz2 file of some 14.4mb which opens
out to
>> a 60.1mb folder - great - but now what?
>>
>> How do I install it?
>>
>> I have opened and read the Install folder and the readme's - but, they
throw
>> up so many this & that's, if's & but's and so many dependencies - All
I want
>> is to be able to open & use the new program - why is everything surrounded
>> in so much 'Fog.'
>>
>> Not too sure if it is all worth while, really.
>> Time is money, even if the program is free!
>>
>> Ned
>
> I am also using Kubuntu 10.04. I installed 1.3.3.14 simply doing the
update using Synaptic since that is the version now in the repository. I
have also now installed 1.3.8. The instructions for installing 1.3.8 are
quite straightforward -- you just add the repository entry, the GPG Key
and search for Scribus. It will show the latest version. If you install
it, you will have it as well as 1.3.3.14 on your computer.

> So far, 1.3.8 is nicer, but anything saved with it cannot be opened by
the earlier version. 1.3.8 is somewhat different and it takes a bit of
time to learn the new ways to do things. There are also a few bugs -- at
least I think that is what they are. Furthermore, it does crash
sometimes, so make sure that you save your document frequently so you
don't lose much if it does so (good advice for just about any project on
which you are working).

Please report the bugs on bugs.scribus.net. If they are not there,
they don't get fixed. We are pretty close to 1.4.0...

thanks
Craig