[scribus] hebrew

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 14 18:52:53 CEST 2010

On 08/14/2010 04:45 AM, Doron wrote:
> Submitted on 08/14/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
> Name: Doron
> Email Address: do.archi at gmail.com
> Subject: hebrew
> Message:
> Hello
> im using os x operating system.
> im interested to know if the program supporting the Hebrew language.
  Hi Doron,

There are 2 parts to the response.

1. Scribus can handle any language glyph that is present in a given font.
2. The challenge with Hebrew and Arabic is the right-to-left issue.
There is the right-to-left setting in the Text tab of properties, but
you will have to let us know if that meets your needs. Unfortunately,
this is not one of the settings of either Paragraph or Character Styles,
and must be applied in a whole-frame manner. It might actually be one of
the more easy things to implement this as a Character Style.

I think it would also make sense to have the right-to-left setting be
part of Preferences, which it doesn't seem to be, AFAICT.

We do have an interest in getting beyond the North American-European
attitude that Scribus seems to have (and there are many more issues with
Southeast Asian glyphs).

Please keep in touch.

Greg