[scribus] DockWidgets and Workspaces

Rob Oakes lyx-devel at oak-tree.us
Thu Aug 26 23:17:28 CEST 2010

  Dear Scribus Users,

A couple of days ago, I spent some time working on a solution to a
Scribus annoyance that has been bugging me for some time: the inability
to organize top-level windows.  After I got everything working well (or
at least acceptably), one of the people in the Scribus IRC recommended
that I share the solution on the mailing list.  I thought that was a
good idea, which is why I am writing now.

Using the awesome power of the Scripter plugin (and a very good example
written by one of the develoeprs), I created a series of scripts to
mimic the "Workspaces" feature of the Adobe Creative Suite.  In case
you've never used the Creative Suite apps before, Adobe has included the
ability to save save your window layout as a "Workspace."  This means
that you can configure certain toolbars and palettes and then load them
whenever you are working on a particular type of content.  It can be a
wonderful time saver.

Using a series of python scripts, I've tried to get Scribus to behave
similarly.  The first python script I wrote (actually, stole would be
more accurate) converts several top level windows to PyQt dock widgets.
You can then organize these how you would like to your Scribus window.
Once you have finished organizing the widgets, you can then save the
layout (workspace) by using a second script.  After a workspace has been
saved, you can then load it again, through the use of the third script.
If you, like me, keep a lot of different windows open at the same time,
this system might help you to be slightly more organized.

A detailed writeup about the scripts, including links for downloads and
configuration structures can be found at:

http://blog.oak-tree.us/index.php/2010/08/25/scribus-dockwidgets

If you have any problems or questions, please let me know.  I'd like to
make them as useful as possible.

In closing, I'd just like to say thanks to the developers for creating a
fantastic program.  I've used Scribus for years to create scientific
posters, and I absolutely love it.  While it might not be perfect, for
my needs, it's pretty damn close.

Though if you were to make use of dock widgets and workspaces in the
next release, I would hardly complain ;)

Cheers,

Rob