[scribus] Re(2): Scribus 1.3.9 - MacOS X, 10.4, G4 processor - crashed during program load

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Dec 6 23:55:57 CET 2010

While I don't have a recipe for making the 1.3.9.dmg work on 10.4, I'll
try to explain some more by answering your questions:

On 6/12/10 20:16, Gunter Woysch wrote:

> Were it possible to compile Scribus 1.3.9 from the sources under MacOS X 10.4 ?

Yes, if you install Fink, then compiling Scribus-1.3.9 can be as simple
as typing

   fink install scribus135-aqua

This will take a couple of hours, but it should build everything
necessary to give you a working Scribus.app on your machine.

For a binary distribution of Scribus.app that runs without Fink, the
problem is not Scribus itself, nor even qt4, it's "only" the supporting
libraries, 18 of them.

> Which libraries would have to be compiled too ?

 From the directory Scribus.app/Contents/Frameworks:

libX11.6.dylib	libcairo.2.dylib libjpeg.8.dylib  libxcb.1.dylib
libXau.6.dylib	libexpat.1.dylib liblcms.1.dylib libxml2.2.dylib
libXdmcp.6.dylib libfontconfig.1.dylib libpixman-1.0.dylib libz.1.dylib
  libXrender.1.dylib libfreetype.6.dylib libpng12.0.dylib
libaspell.15.dylib libiconv.2.dylib libtiff.3.dylib

> How does one build the libraries with MacOSX10.4u.sdk ?

I cannot give a general recipe, because these libs are all from
different projects and have different build systems. Building them from
source is a daunting task, unless one uses a build system like macports
or fink.

The problem with macports is that it doesn't run on 10.4, AFAIK. But it
is able to build universal libraries that run on ppc and i386. This is
what has been used to create these dylibs for the 1.3.9.dmg.

The problem with fink is that it builds only for the system it is
running on. This means that for creating the libraries needed here one
would have to use two Fink installations running on 10.4, one on a ppc
and one on an i386. Or, what is simpler, one would have to offer
different dmgs for ppc and for intel (and perhaps different ones for
10.4 and for 10.5/6).

Once one has them built with either macports or fink, one has to do some
surgery with install_name_tool or lipo to get them in the form needed
for the app package. This can be done by hand or with some simple script.

> How does one know with which MacOSX10.?u.sdk a library had been built ?

If you look at the binary with

   otool -L foo.dylib |grep libSystem

you see the version of the system library it was linked with. The
"current version" tells about the OSX version: 88.x.y is 10.4, 111.x.y
is 10.5.

> Are the required steps documented somewhere ?

Not that I know of. There is, of course, Apple documentation on how to
use the SDKs in general, and build systems like Xcode or cmake have
simple commands to use them, but for libs built with other build
systems, it is not obvious.

--
Martin