[scribus] Adobe InDesign, QuarkXPress, Publisher files

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Thu Dec 9 06:51:36 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> >i think it was just a commercial for the conversion service on his
> >site.
>
> Markzware is in the business of providing conversion tools and plugins
> for QuarkXPress, Publisher and InDesign. I thought the post was to
> assess the possibilities of an import tool for Scribus. After all, they
> have import filters for the others, so they are already familiar with
> the file formats.
>
> I suspect they will discover that Scribus users will not likely pay the
> price they are accustomed to getting for their other tools. Their
> conversion software comes as separate packages for just one program to
> another, e.g., Publisher to InDesign is one package, QuarkXPress to
> InDesign is another package, and so on. Most of their packages are at
> least $100, and some sell for several hundred dollars. If they made
> import tools so that Scribus could import InDesign, QuarkXPress and
> Publisher files it would be three packages and would probably cost
> around $300 for all three. I sure wouldn't pay that.

Had a conversion tool to convert from PageMaker to Scribus been available 3
months ago, $100, or even more, would have been a small price to pay to
convert the library of files that I had to re-create from scratch with
Scribus.  This would have allowed me to import the PageMaker files and then
edit them.  But, now that I have re-created all these files with Scribus, I
am not nearly as likely to need such a conversion tool.  However, it would
be nice to know there was one.