[scribus] Two colour printing

Jeremy Bennett jeremy at jeremybennett.com
Fri Dec 10 14:34:40 CET 2010

I produce an A3 newsletter that uses two colours, black and one other
colour. I have set that colour as a spot colour in my palette. I can
happily export this as PDF/X3.

My printer has asked me to produce a PDF for each of the two colour
separations. I can do this by printing to file, selecting each colour in
turn. I can then convert the PostScript to PDF using ps2pdf.

My printer tells me the spot colour separation PDF actually has two
colours: white and the spot colour, rather than just the spot colour.

        Is this a feature of Scribus, or of the conversion using ps2pdf?

        Is there a (Linux, open source) tool I can use to inspect my
        PDFs to see which colours are used?

        Should I be generating the separations directly from the PDF/X3,
        and if so is there an open source Linux tool I can use for the
        job?

I'm using Scribus 1.3.9 under Fedora 12 Linux.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I'm aware that in a better world, my printer ought to be able to take
the PDF/X3 and generate his own separations. However he can't, and
changing printer is not an option.

--
Tel:      +44 (1590) 670028
Cell:     +44 (7970) 676050