[scribus] Can scribus page/canvas default resolution be lowered?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Dec 12 22:09:10 CET 2010

On Sunday 12 December 2010 14:46:05 Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 12/11/2010 11:01 PM, randy.pare at rogers.com wrote:
> > Once again, forgive my intrusion - this stuff is hard to learn.
> > Okay, the document I am attempting to create, using scribus, is
> > NOT intended for printing. It will be a PDF shared over the web
> > [an e-zine]. Until now I have always done my layouts using MS
> > Word and am trying to learn DTP software so I can get more
> > creative with my layouts. All that being said, I must also add
> > that the graphics I use for my zine are all simple web friendly
> > jpegs. When loading them into scribus, unlike MS Word, they are
> > reduced to illegible, blurry thumbnails. I can only assume this
> > is because the default setting of the page/or canvas [to use an
> > art program term] is very high. For example, the exact same
> > simple jpegs, when added to an MS Word doc - appear larger, are
> > not blurry and can be converted to a PDF for web quite simply.
> > Because MS Word doesn't expect the images to be hi rez. What I
> > would like to know - is it possible for the page resolution - the
> > working area itself - to be lowered to web specs? Or should I be
> > searching for other software? I have read instructions about
> > scaling images for export etc etc... none of this is helpful if
> > the environ they are layed out in is too high a rez to begin
> > with.
> It seems you're talking about opposite things. You say you want the
> default resolution lowered, but then you (seem to) complain about
> the Scribus images being blurry -- they are blurry because the
> display resolution is low. I'm not sure why you are so concerned
> about the appearance in Scribus.
> The other thing is, the resolution inside of Scribus doesn't have
> so much to do with the resolution of the PDF output. That is set in
> the PDF export dialog, as limited by the resolution of the image
> itself at the degree of magnification you are using, and it sounds
> like you can export at a rather low image resolution, as shown on
> the wiki page.
> Greg
> _______________________________________________
> scribus mailing list
> scribus at lists.scribus.net
> http://lists.scribus.net/mailman/listinfo/scribus
Some kinds of images have to be imported, and not just loaded into an 
image frame. I have discovered that bar code eps has a thumbnail 
feature and if the eps is input into a graphics frame the image is 
badly degraded. But if the same eps is imported via the file menu it 
works fine. Now this doesn't apply to jpegs in my experience but if a 
jpeg is created with a thumbnail then maybe Scribus will chose the 
thumbnail over the full sized image.  

John Culleton, 
 typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com
book sales http://wexfordpress.net
Free  barcode: http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/

More information about the scribus mailing list