[scribus] What about E-PUB format?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 15:38:03 CET 2010

On 12/30/2010 09:17 AM, Astrobob Group wrote:

>> Message: 8
>> Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:12:02 -0800
>> From: John Jason Jordan<johnxj at comcast.net>
>> Subject: [scribus] What about E-PUB format?
>> To: Scribus<scribus at lists.scribus.net>
>
>> Assuming not, is there a workaround, like exporting to PDF or
>> something else and then converting the output to E-PUB? Has anyone
>> here published anything in E-PUB format?
>>
> Hello John,
>
> I don't own a reader or pad yet, but I use Calibre. Maybe you are not
> yet aware that in Calibre you are capable of converting to another
> format. just right click on the book/document you want to convert&
> select convert>convert individually (or as bulk if u want several book
> to be converted). Alternatively you can just highlight the book&  press
> "c". Then you go on selecting your output format in the upper right
> corner of the window.

I have a Kindle, and it can handle PDFs, either through Amazon's
mechanism of putting things on your Kindle or by direct file transfer.
In many cases the complex layout of PDFs is not suited well to the
Kindle -- you either have to do a lot of scrolling or the size of the
page makes the print small and hard to read.

If one just had text and no graphics, you might as well leave it in
plain text or RTF, in which case you can either use Amazon's ability to
transform those into MOBI and then download to your Kindle or use Calibre.

For these reasons, I don't see a value in Scribus itself needing to
export to EPUB. It's a very different concept. EPUB is about the text
content, not about the layout.

Greg