[scribus] Reducing PDF file size

Branko Vukelic bg.branko at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 13:09:35 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Ian Whitfield <editor at federalsaints.net> wrote:
> I just joined the List and found your discussion with Greg on this subject.
> I had found and tried the command line method to convert to PS and then back
> to PDF. The PS file came in at 20Mb but the new PDF file is 136Mb and takes
> about a minute to open each page. Reading your advise I tried Acroread but
> no difference.

It will get larger if you use a lot of alpha transparency, because it
gets flattened, causing the file size to grow exponentially.

> So I tried your 'full' method - open original in Acroread and print to file.
> That works but when I run the conversion command it takes a while to exit
> and gives me just ONE blank page!!!!!
>
> Any thoughts on this.... all I need is to reduce the file size by about half
> - otherwise the graphics suffer!!

What do your graphics look like? Reducing the size of a PDF is highly
dependent on what your page contents look like, and there are no rules
there.

--
Branko Vukelić

http://foxbunny.tumblr.com/