[scribus] manual

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 19:15:17 CEST 2010

On 07/17/2010 11:16 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi alan,
>
>> How may I get a manual?
>
> in french you can buy cedric gémy's book.
>
> you may also read the tutorial in the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Get_Started_with_Scribus
>
> somebody has made a downloadable version of it (pdf + odt) but is still struggling to get an account for the wiki in order to upload it.
>

> if you want the official manual, you can order it through amazon and other online booksellers.
> it should also available in PDF form... since it's published under a free "Open Publication Licence"... but i don't know from where you can download it.

Just to clarify or perhaps present another point-of-view, the licence
that we have for the manual says that you can use it in whatever way you
want without restrictions, except for publishing it yourself. This does
not compel us to offer a PDF of the manual for unrestricted download for
all who ask. As I look at other FOSS projects out there, I don't see
that they are making the effort to offer a comprehensive manual of
usage, then making this available for free download. Mostly, I don't
even see them so interested in just the first step of this process. So
at least from a personal point-of-view, I don't feel a lot of traction
of the concept that we are somehow taking advantage of Scribus users.
Furthermore, my arrangement with the publisher results in no personal
income from this book. The reason I did this was from the same
perspective as those who are collectively developing Scribus for no
monetary gain.

We had some issues with our (sic) publisher which led to making
available PDFs for those who had purchased the manual and were
struggling to receive their copies, so perhaps this leads to hard
feelings on the part of others, but again we get back to the traction issue.

Greg