[scribus] Scribus vs Quark?

Gerard Cunningham gerard at faduda.net
Sat Jul 31 22:34:41 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 21:25 +0100, Jim Ford wrote:
> I want to layout an illustrated children's book and have practically
> no experience of DTP applications. I understand that the industry
> standard for DTP applications is 'Quarkxpress'.

Used to be. things probably vary in different countries, but in Ireland
the industry standard these days seems to be InDesign.

> How does Scribus compare with Quarkxpress? Is Scribus likely to be
> appropriate for what I want to do, or am I going to 'hit a wall'
> eventually and wish I'd sported the (considerable) outlay for Quark?

How long is a piece of string? It depends what exactly it is you want to
do.

> I'd be grateful for any advice, before I start on the Scribus learning
> curve.
>
> Also, as it's my first post - thanks to the authors of Scribus for
> providing what appears to be a very powerful application!

Maybe if you set out what it is you want to do. Though as far as my
experience goes, Scribus should be able to do what you want, unless you
have some unusually exotic requirements.

--
Gerard Cunningham
Journalist