[scribus] Prinitng from Scribus

TSH tsh.gmane at miserableoldgit.me.uk
Sun May 30 13:47:17 CEST 2010

On Sun, 30 May 2010 10:56:05 +0200, peter linnell wrote:

> On 5/29/10 7:43 PM, TSH wrote:

>>> Scribus.
>>> other than

>>> Well I have found Adobe Acrobat Reader to be very useful. And it is
>>> free. Do you have a problem with it?
>>

>> It's free in the sense that it doesn't cost any money to install or
>> use, and it does have some useful features. But I have found that it
>> tends to impose itself upon your system, making itself the default pdf
>> application everywhere, without asking if you want this default
>> behaviour, or necessarily giving you the option.
>>
>> I prefer the relative simplicity of Evince, which comes packaged with
>> many Gnome desktops, including Ubuntu.
>>
>> A more basic option is ePDF, and gv (formerly ghostview) looks
>> interesting, though I haven't used it myself.
>>

> Please read carefully:
> http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox
>
> http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox1
>
> There are valid long standing reasons why the team reccommends Adobe
> Reader for working with Scribus pdf.
>
> The others mentioned simply lack support for some of the more advanced
> features of PDF which Scribus exports.

I was simply answering the question which asked about pdf readers /other/
than Acrobat (sic). But I was quite clear that the ones I mentioned were
limited in their abilities.

It must be for a user to decide which is most suited to their needs.

Personally, I keep Adobe Reader on a virtual machine, so that I can check
and compare outputs. But for regular use on my daily machine, I prefer
Evince.

Not all end users will have Adobe anyway, so viewing it on readers other
than that is a good idea - advanced features are all very well, but if a
user can't access them, they're not necessarily an advantage.

--
Stewart H.

Posting via Gmane