[scribus] "Cannot write to file" when exporting as PDF

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sat Nov 13 06:59:52 CET 2010

hi bob,

> > However, today, when I went to generate (Export > PDF) a medium
> > resolution PDF for our website, Scribus told me "Cannot write file:
> > path/filename.pdf. I repeated the exercise at the resolution I had
> > used
> > previously and I got the same error. I can Export as PNG or EPS, but
> > not
> > as PDF, even after deleting previous PDF with same name.
> >
> > Both our print shop and our website require PDF files. Is there a
> > solution?
>

> I don't know windows, but that error generally means what it says.
>
> Do you have a directory called "path" into which you hope to write
> filename.pdf?
>
> Another cause of that error is the permissions needed to write the
> file. But I don't think that applies to windows

1. this has very likely nothing to do with the fact that you're trying to export to a low res file

2. windows does have permissions for files and directory but it's unlikely that this is the reason for your problem (you may still check if the target is writable)

3. as owen suggested, you will probably have to check if the place you want to export the PDF to, does indeed exist. you may have renamed the a folder since the last time you created the PDF or are trying to export it to a USB drive which is not currently in your computer.

good luck!
a.l.e