[scribus] pxd/x3 export : apparently contains RGB images

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Oct 1 16:32:51 CEST 2010

On Friday 01 October 2010 12:30:15 eric hanuise wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've exported a PDF as pdf/x3 using isocoated v2 ICC profile.
> It contains several png images, which are rgb.
>
> As I understand it, the pdf exported by scribus should be cmyk only, and
> the images converted to cmyk during pdf generation.
> however, the printer came back to me and told me the pdf contained RGB
> images.
>
> Have I misunderstood the ability of scribus to convert everything to
> cmyk on pdf export, or is there some setting I missed ?

Yes, this seems to be a misunderstanding, and to be honest, it's quite common
even among commercial printers. The PDF/X-3 standard explictly permits RGB
imgaes (plus a colour profile) to be included in a PDF, which is one of its
biggest advantages. In other words: Scribus adheres to the standard :)

HTH,

Christoph