[scribus] pxd/x3 export : apparently contains RGB images

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Oct 1 23:25:43 CEST 2010

On Friday 01 October 2010 17:32:15 eric hanuise wrote:
> On 01/10/10 16:54, Pierre Marchand wrote:
> > Vous (eric hanuise) avez écrit :

> >> Thanks, bu this does not reply my question :) pdf/x3 is in fact
> >> irrelevant here.
> >> The printer requests cmyk only pdf's, with no rgb images inside it.
> >> How can I provide that to him ?
> >
> > In PDF export>  colors>  target = printer
>
> Thanks. This option is greyed out when using pdf/x3 (but shows 'printer').

That's because in PDF/X-3 an image is being included "as is" (RGB recommended,
but CMYK is still possible). The conversion happens at the printer, using the
embedded colour profile.

> When using another type of pdf (1.3 1.4 or 1.5) the prepress option does
> not allow to specify the icc profile to be used as intent.

Sure. As the caption says: "PDF/X-3 Output Intent".

> Will the profile defined in color management for printer be used ?
> (I'm using 1.3.7 on ubuntu)

Yes.

> How can I check the saved PDF to know which profile have actually been
> used ?
> Also, how can I check that the saved PDF does indeed only contain CMYK
> objects and no RGB ? (Using tools available on linux)

By opening the PDF file in a text editor (may take some time, though,
depending on the speed of your CPU).

HTH,

Christoph