[scribus] Index for large book

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 18:21:03 CEST 2010

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:27:56 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:

>On 10/04/2010 04:08 AM, JLuc wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Is there any tool to build the index of a 400+ pages book ?
>>
>> Since scribus isnt friendly with documents that have 50+
>> linked-text-frames pages,
>> i plan to spread the book into 12 chapter files,
>> the index will be close to the end of the last file.
>
>I'll beat John Culleton to the punch and point out that TeX has this
>built-in, but Scribus does not.
>
>Thinking about it, though, I wonder if some modification of the Find
>function might accomplish this, by searching for a particular
>Paragraph Style that might be unique various headers, then creating a
>list from that. It's not accessible from Scripter.
>
>There may be some variably complex workarounds too, which could
>benefit from having the original text done in OpenOffice.

If I was the author of this book I can assure you that the text would
have been written in OOo. However, I can also say that during the
layout process I would have made minor editorial changes in Scribus, so
the original text is no longer 100% accurate.

I would do the indexing this way:

1) Make a printout of the book from Scribus.
2) Export the text from Scribus and open in OOo.
3) Page through the text in OOo and make manual page breaks
    wherever the pages break in the Scribus document.
4) Use the indexing function of OOo to create the index.
5) Place the generated OOo index into the Scribus document.

In the past I created indexes manually from a paper copy of the
finished book, writing the index in an OOo document. The end result is
the same, but using OOo's indexing function may save a little time.