[scribus] Imposition

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Oct 4 20:13:12 CEST 2010

On Sunday 03 October 2010 17:38:09 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 10/4/10, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > It would be nice if imposition could be done within Scribus. But
> > there are already outside tools to do the job.
>
> Please be so good as to rate their usability in 1 to 10 units of
> your choice (stars etc.)
>
> I rate them as 1. I'd pick 0, but then I asked for 1-10 range.
> Gotta stick to my own rules.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

As for imposition in general, the Context version of TeX can do
imposition of multiple pages on a single sheet, which emulates what
prepress software does.  But to do imposition right requires the
ability to adjust the skew of the pages to compensate for small errors
introduced by the folding process. This will vary from folding machine
to folding machine, and from paper stock to paper stock. This kind of
fine tuning of the imposition is practical only in the print shop's own
prepress process.

The saddle-stitched pamphlet with a four to one ratio, i.e. four page
images on a single sheet of paper, is practical for a DTP run stream.
I do it with my scripts for one-time hymnals  done on 11 x 17 paper on
my Ricoh Laser.  Beyond that you give the printer the pdf file in
normal sequence and leave the imposition to him/her.  And I don't care
what InDesign does or purports to do.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press