[scribus] Index for large book

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 5 17:08:33 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 05 October 2010 05:20:13 JLuc wrote:
> Le 04/10/2010 18:21, John Jason Jordan a écrit :
> > On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:27:56 -0400
> >
> > Gregory Pittman<gregp_ky at yahoo.com>  dijo:

> >> I'll beat John Culleton to the punch and point out that TeX has
> >> this built-in, but Scribus does not.
> >>
> >> Thinking about it, though, I wonder if some modification of the
> >> Find function might accomplish this, by searching for a
> >> particular Paragraph Style that might be unique various headers,
> >> then creating a list from that. It's not accessible from
> >> Scripter.
> >>
> >> There may be some variably complex workarounds too, which could
> >> benefit from having the original text done in OpenOffice.
> >
> > If I was the author of this book I can assure you that the text
> > would have been written in OOo. However, I can also say that
> > during the layout process I would have made minor editorial
> > changes in Scribus, so the original text is no longer 100%
> > accurate.
> >
> > I would do the indexing this way:
> >
> > 1) Make a printout of the book from Scribus.
> > 2) Export the text from Scribus and open in OOo.
> > 3) Page through the text in OOo and make manual page breaks
> >      wherever the pages break in the Scribus document.
> > 4) Use the indexing function of OOo to create the index.
> > 5) Place the generated OOo index into the Scribus document.
> >
> > In the past I created indexes manually from a paper copy of the
> > finished book, writing the index in an OOo document. The end
> > result is the same, but using OOo's indexing function may save a
> > little time.
>
> OK, Thanks for this simpler way to do it than I could think of.
> Using tex is a more frightening option...
>
> JLuc

Glad you found a way you liked. I don't consider TeX as frightening,
just a bit tedious at times. But then I still like to shift gears :<)

My Tyro package is a standalone indexing tool that uses Makeindex
under the covers. It should not frighten anyone. See:
http://wexfordpress.com/forindexers.html

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press