[scribus] Making PDF smaller

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Tue Sep 7 12:23:43 CEST 2010

> Am 06.09.2010 22:57, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
>> On 09/06/2010 04:04 PM, Rudolf Vavruch wrote:
>>> Submitted on 09/06/2010
>>> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>>>
>>> Submitted values are:
>>>
>>> Name: Rudolf Vavruch
>>> Email Address: vavruch at gmail.com
>>> Subject: Making PDF smaller
>>> Message:
>>> Hi, I'm sending this from the contact form on scribus.net.
>>>
>>> My friends and I are making an online magazine, you can view the
>>> first
>>> issue here: exhibitmag.co.za. The second issue is complete but for
>>> one
>>> problem - as a PDF it's too big. I've tried various methods of
>>> exporting
>>> it but nothing gets it looking good unless it is around 400MB. My
>>> friend
>>> took this PDF opened it in Illustrator and when closing it, it
>>> asked him
>>> if he wanted to remove superfluous data (or something similar),
>>> bookmarks and other things. It then compressed the file down to
>>> 40MB!
>>> But I've noticed one problem, occasionally some of the text is
>>> messed up.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway I can compress the generated PDF without dropping
>>> image
>>> resolution and keeping all the text as is?
>>>
>>> I am using ScribusNG 1.3.5 - that comes with Linux Mint 8 Helena.
>>
>> Hi Rudolf,
>>
>> Try these:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Shrinking_a_PDF_from_the_command_line
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF
>>
>> What these involve is conversion to PS then back to PDF.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Just thought I'd try that first one, but this is what came out:
>
> myfile.pdf:         2660277
> myfile.ps:          354513891
> myshrunkenfile.pdf: 72428732
>
> That means, the "shrunken" file is actually bigger than the original
> one.
>
> Any idea?

Hi,

You don't say what your image resolution is.

What size are they, the absolute megabyte size as well as the physical
dimensions?

Select an image and look at the properties->Image

What is the dpi shown in the properties box? For online content, 150
dpi is probably all you need. Resize the images?

When you export to PDF, the export dialog->color should be set to
optimize for Screen/Web

What have you done with the fonts? What type of fonts are and are they
embedded?

And yes, the pdf->ps->pdf path can generate files greater that the
original.

--

Owen