[scribus] Speeding up Scribus

Nikita Sagl nikita at nikisa.at
Wed Apr 6 11:16:48 CEST 2011

Hello,

Scribus 1.4.0. RC2 on Ubuntu 10.04.

At the moment i am compiling single algebra "working sheets" with lots
of graphical elements to bigger Sets up to about 50 sheets each.
My PC needs a lot of time to do so.
My system:
Fujitsu Esprimo Mobile V6535, Celeron 900 2.20GHz, 2048MB Ram, 160GB
Harddisk, IGP Intel GMA X4500
which for sure is not very up to date, but was cheap, worked out of the
box with ubuntu, supports the external hd monitor and, as usual for
laptops, has a low power consumption.

I just would like to know, if in the future I should buy or compile
another faster system, what are the key components that speed up the
work flow in scribus:

CPU: Does Scribus handle more than one core well, or is one fast core
sufficient?
RAM: As there are never used more than 1GB of RAM, running scribus, 2GB
should be enough. Whereas I guess faster RAM would speed up.
Graphics card?
SSD?

Thanks for answering,
Nikita Sagl