[scribus] Speeding up Scribus

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 17:39:50 CEST 2011

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:57:58 +0200
Nikita Sagl <nikita at nikisa.at> dijo:

>> BUT
>> Few weeks ago I buy new hardware for my desktop and switch from
>> Pentium 4 2.4 GHz/2GB RAM/160GB HDD (SATA150) to i7 4-core 8-threads
>> 2.2 GHz/6GB fast RAM/1TB HDD (SATA300) and notice BIG difference in
>> speed in Scribus.
>>
>> My advice - prepare bootable USB stick with Ubuntu, Scribus and you
>> documents. Go to shop and and ask if can ran laptop from your USB -
>> just check in shop how new laptop will working for you with yours
>> warkflow.

>Thank you again for sharing your experiences and your knowledge.
>Personally I will still wait with updating my hardware, because the
>delays just happen when im sticking together big files.
>Its just that for the future I would like to know what increases speed
>best.

I have experienced the same problem with long documents, and most
Scribus users will agree that Scribus needs work on speed with complex
files. However, my understanding is that increasing the speed will take
a lot of work and may not happen in the near future.

In the meantime I use tricks to get around the problem. The easiest
solution is to break the work up into multiple files, e.g., make each
chapter of a book a separate file. At the end you can export all as
PDFs and then combine them with PDF tools.

Sometimes I have no choice but to keep everything in one large file. In
that case I open a second document of just a couple of pages to use as a
working document. I import all the styles from the main document, and
then in the main document I copy the item(s) I want to work on to the
Scrapbook. In the secondary document I place the item(s) from the
Scrapbook, finish the work on them, then reverse the process to put
the altered versions back in the main document.